The Bali provincial administration is finally imposing tougher sanctions on health protocol violators, with those who don’t wear masks now subject to a fine of IDR100,000 (US$6.82).
Bali Governor Wayan Koster announced the sanction earlier today, along with the launch of a new Gubernatorial Regulation (Pergub) in Denpasar. Under the regulation, individuals, businesses, as well as public places and facilities are required to implement health protocols and ensure they are being observed.
“The requirement for individuals are exempted when they are giving a speech, eating, chanting prayers, or other activities that require them to take off their masks, while still paying attention to distance of 1 meter at a minimum,” Koster said, adding that health authorities and other relevant agencies are exempt from the requirement while on duty.
According to Koster, Bali has previously implemented similar requirements through circulars, with the main difference being that the Pergub now includes administrative sanctions. This includes an IDR100,000 fine for individuals who don’t wear masks while they are outside of their homes.
Meanwhile, businesses as well as public places and facilities are required to provide health precaution facilities, and may be fined IDR1,000,000 (US$68.22) or have their permits temporarily revoked should they fail to do so.
The governor also said that other sanctions according to traditional village customs still apply on top of those laid out in the Pergub.
Officials have set a two-week window starting today to raise awareness about the new regulation, after which it will be enforced by the local Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) alongside members of the Indonesian Military (TNI) and the National Police (Polri). According to reports, violators will be expected to pay the administrative sanctions on the spot.
Show your local Bali pride with our new City Logo Tee! Available on sale until September 30 at The Coconuts Shop.