Trump: I did not have ‘mini-strokes’


Beyond pointing to Biden’s occasionally gaffe-prone speaking style, Trump has never offered proof of any cognitive deficiency on Biden’s part.

The president’s social media post comes amid new scrutiny of his unannounced weekend trip to Walter Reed last November, during which the White House said Trump began “portions of his routine annual physical exam.”

According to a forthcoming book by New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt, however, West Wing staffers were told to put Vice President Mike Pence on standby “to take over the powers of the presidency temporarily if Trump had to undergo a procedure that would have required him to be anesthetized.”

Responding to Trump’s tweet, Schmidt noted Tuesday: “Book says nothing about mini-strokes.”

But in a statement Tuesday afternoon, White House physician Sean Conley said the president “has asked that I … address the recent public comments regarding his health.”

“I can confirm that President Trump has not experienced nor been evaluated for a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), transient ischemic attack (mini stroke), or any acute cardiovascular emergencies, as have been incorrectly reported in the media,” Conley said.

“The President remains healthy and I have no concerns about his ability to maintain the rigorous schedule ahead of him. As stated in my last report, I expect him to remain fit to execute the duties of the Presidency.”

The Walter Reed trip last November prompted significant speculation about Trump’s health. In the days after his return from the hospital, the president criticized coverage of the visit by “sick” reporters and claimed he had to calm first lady Melania Trump, who was allegedly panicked into thinking he had a heart attack.

Conley also wrote a memo rebutting rumors that the president had suffered chest pain or another serious issue that necessitated the trip, and he reported that Trump “did not undergo any specialized neurologic or cardiac evaluations.”

In another memo released in June, Conley summarized examinations the president had received at Walter Reed and the White House from last November to April, concluding there had been “no interval change” in Trump’s condition over the past year.

The president seemingly invoked the Walter Reed trip as recently as July, when he memorably boasted about the results of his cognitive exam.

Although Trump said he took the test during his last hospital visit a “little less than a year ago,” he also said he requested it from Ronny Jackson — the former physician to the president who departed the White House medical unit amid scandal in 2018.



Read More: Trump: I did not have ‘mini-strokes’

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.