There’s a new, easy way to get rewarded when shopping at Kohl’s.
Starting Tuesday, the Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin-based retailer rolls out its Kohl’s Rewards program nationwide, replacing previous loyalty program Yes2You Rewards in which members earned points on purchases that were then converted into rewards.
Now, with the free program, members earn 5% Kohl’s Cash daily on every purchase and will get personalized deals and perks like a birthday gift.
“We’ve eliminated points as part of Kohl’s Rewards and changed our currency into Kohl’s Cash,” Greg Revelle, Kohl’s chief marketing officer, said in an interview with USA TODAY. “So that will make it much easier for customers to understand what they’re earning, what they have available and how to redeem it.”
Save better, spend better: Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here
The 30 million members of Yes2You Rewards program, which launched nationwide in 2014, will be automatically transitioned into Kohl’s Rewards and existing Yes2You Rewards points will be converted into the new program.
All Kohl’s shoppers, including members, will still be able to get $10 Kohl’s Cash for every $50 spent during Kohl’s Cash promotional event periods, Revelle said.
Get paid to take a social media break?:Facebook will pay some app and Instagram users for deactivating accounts, taking surveys ahead of election
No more mystery seeds?:Amazon bans foreign seeds, plants sales as investigation over mysterious packages continues
Revelle said the new program simplifies Kohl’s “overall loyalty proposition” by combining the longstanding Kohl’s Cash program with rewards.
“Customers really want to redeem their Kohl’s Cash so we want to make it as easy and seamless as we possibly can do that,” he said. “And part of that is communication and making sure they know what they have.”
Members can get reminders on the app, via email and through text messaging if they sign up for that.
Kohl’s began developing the program about two years ago and piloted it in 13 markets: Austin and San Antonio, Texas; Baltimore; Buffalo and Rochester, New York; Indianapolis; Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tennessee; Phoenix; Raleigh, North Carolina; and Washington D.C.
Kohl’s CEO Michelle Gass spoke of the nationwide roll-out during the retailer’s quarterly earnings in August and said loyalty was an “important piece of our strategy.”
“We saw positive results in our pilot and are confident that this new program will further enhance our position as a leader in the industry,” Gass said.
Like other loyalty programs including Macy’s, Nordstrom and J.C. Penney, there are extra perks for store credit card holders. Revelle said shoppers with a Kohl’s credit card will have access to more discounts and with personalized offers may be able to earn rewards faster.
“We wanted to integrate this personalization with loyalty in ways that will drive more engagement, really delight customers, differentiate the program and make it more fun,” Revelle said.
Kohl’s Rewards loyalty program
- Kohl’s Rewards members earn 5% back on every purchase every day and balances are converted and issued in $5 increments of Kohl’s Cash coupons on the first day of the following month.
- The coupons are valid for 30 days and there are no brand exclusions when redeeming them.
- Kohl’s Rewards balances will print on members’ receipts and will sync across all channels. Kohl’s will send members reminders when they have Kohl’s Cash to spend. The coupons can be redeemed with other earned Kohl’s Cash.
- With the program, Kohl’s says members get personalized offers and access to extra reward events “to help you earn rewards even faster.”
- Yes2You Rewards members will automatically be transitioned into Kohl’s Rewards, and existing Yes2You Rewards points will be converted to the new Kohl’s Rewards program.
- Learn more about the program or enroll at www.kohls.com/kohlsrewards.
Follow USA TODAY reporter Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko